Ok, so about 2 months ago this happened:
Layah started climbing the stairs. Like, out of nowhere. She climbed the entire flight in one attempt. Which left us dumbfounded, and also scrambling for a plan. We most definitely needed a baby gate for the bottom of the stairs, and we needed one NOW.
Finding the Best Baby Gate
But since the stairwell was just at the edge of the main room of our house (the living room/dining room/kitchen), I really didn’t want to get something plastic and ugly. Are baby gates and stylish decor simply destined to be at odds with each other?
Look at this gorgeous extra tall decor gate from The First Years!
Here are the reason I believe this is the best baby gate on the market.
1. It is pretty! How many beautiful baby gates have you seen in your life? Not many, I’m guessing. This one is made of metal, has an attractive aesthetic, and blends in with the rest of my house (at least as much as a gate can blend!).
2. Great for wider areas. The bottom of the stairs is where we needed a gate most of all, since we seem to have a little Sir Edmund Hillary on our hands. Many gates we considered just wouldn’t allow for such a wide space. Not a problem with this gate!
3. It is extra tall! Should Layah’s climbing skills go vertical in the future, we are in good shape. This also makes this gate an excellent choice for folks with pets you are trying to corral.
4. Easy to open. I can open this gate with one hand, which is often all that I have free!
5. Hard to open. Even though it can be opened with one hand, it requires that you push down the top button, lift the lower button, and lift up the entire gate door all at once. Not as hard as it sounds, unless you are a child, and then it is pretty darn tough!
6. Simply put, the gate does its job. It keeps Layah off the stairs, and that is so important. More than once I have taken my eyes off of her for less than 30 seconds to put a dish in the dishwasher or get started prepping for a meal, only to find her 1/3 of the way up the stairs. I’m totally over having those heart attacks, folks.
The First Years Home Décor Extra Tall Gate is available right now on Amazon for $67.52, down from $79.99. If you are looking for a new baby gate, I think you will love this one. We certainly do!
I received a complimentary product for review purposes. All thoughts and opinions expressed here are strictly my own. This post may contain affiliate links.