This is my very first meme, inspired by Girly Mama! It’s all about Christmas traditions. Please feel free to join in on the fun and post your own answers on your blog, and then post a link in the comments!
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? I LOVE egg nog. Go ahead and judge me. I judge myself a little bit, because I can objectively realize that it is kind of gross. Oh well!
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? This is a point of contention between my husband and me. In my family, Santa gifts are unwrapped. In his family, Santa wraps presents, but they are in a special semi-see through type of wrapping paper. I have no idea how we are going to do this next year (this year we’ll be at my in-laws, so Santa gifts will be wrapped).
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White on a house and colored on a tree. I’m partial to a tree that is a little bit tacky!
4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope!
5. When do you put your decorations up? Um…when we get around to it? 🙂 I try to get home decor out soon after Thanksgiving, but the tree usually goes up the following weekend.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? I am especially fond of fudge. I also really like those Reese’s peanut butter cups in the shape of a Christmas tree!
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? I remember several Christmas mornings as a child, when my older brother and I would go get my parents (it was the rule that we had to go get them before we went into the living room to see what Santa had brought). In hindsight, I realize my parents had probably only gotten a few hours of sleep (because we woke up at an ungodly hour on Christmas morning), but they never fussed and Christmas morning was always SO AWESOME because of them!
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Ok, nerd alert! I had my suspicions once I found a few gifts in my mom’s closet labeled as being from Santa, so I went straight to the authority on all matters…the encyclopedia! I remember reading that he was a “fictitious” character and I was all, “Ah ha!” I think I was 6 or 7.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We open one gift on Christmas Eve, and that is pajamas.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? My husband and I both have a good number of ornaments from our childhood days, and we also have accumulated quite a few in our 7 years of marriage!
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love it, but that is because I live in a place where it snows between 1 and 3 times each year, and it is always a tiny amount.
12. Do you remember your favorite gift? My favorite gift ever? Well, my husband proposed to me on Christmas morning, and while he didn’t yet have a ring to give me, that would still be my favorite gift of all time.
13. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Special memory- making time with my family.
14. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Christmas Eve drive about town to look at Christmas lights.
15. What tops your tree? We have a star.
16. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Everyone who knows me knows that gifts are my love language. I really do love to get gifts, and that doesn’t mean that it has to be a material object. As trite as it sounds, I swear that it is the thought that counts. I guarantee that I will always appreciate a handmade card that cost nothing over a $100 gift that had no thought put into it. As I have gotten older and more mature, I have also started to get a lot of joy out of gift giving. I try to put thought into all the gifts I give!
17. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? Sort of yuck.
18. Favorite Christmas Show? I really like The Grinch!
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? I love so many of them, but O Holy Night is my favorite. My second favorite is What Child is This?