I am a Netflix Stream Team member and enjoy complimentary streaming services. All thoughts, opinions, and Netflix streaming obsessions are my own.
A few weeks ago my entire county caught the flu. While that might be a slight exaggeration, there were enough cases to warrant the school system to close ALL of the schools due to illness. I’ve never heard of such a thing in my life!
Sickness is out of control in late winter and early spring, so many of you out there reading this are either sick right now or you will be in the next few weeks (sorry to be the bearer of bad news…).
That’s why I created the “sick in bed” streaming guide for you. These are my personal top picks for streaming movies and shows to tune in to when all you can do is just lay there. Everything on the list is either something I’ve already watched and loved or something on my watch list that I haven’t had the chance to watch yet (I have only been sick for one day so far…I predict a nasty cold in my near future…).
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt One of my very favorite shows for plenty of laughs.
- The Crown Watch this one when you are fully awake. It is breathtakingly beautiful and absolutely fascinating! I don’t usually watch a series more than once but I’ll make an exception for this one.
- Anjelah Johnson: Not Fancy Absolutely hilarious stand up comedian who keeps it clean so you don’t find yourself totally embarrassed by the topic of discussion, even if you are home alone (am I the only one who feels that way when watching stand up?)
- Stranger Things I admit that I haven’t watched this one yet, but everyone and their mom LOVES it, so I guess it’s one to watch when you have some free time thanks to germs!
- A Series of Unfortunate Events Feeling sorry for yourself? Your lot is nothing compared with the Baudelaire children! Rich set design and who doesn’t love watching Neil Patrick Harris?
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend The frequent break outs into song are just perfect for when you are slightly hallucenating, anyway. Plus, it’s SOOOO funny. 🙂
- Cheers I’m currently working my way back through this series and watch it right before bed. Cliffie and Norm just lull me off to sleep with their silly banter!
- Bob Ross Definitely the one to watch when you need some help going to sleep. Such a soothing voice! And those happy little trees will help you perk up a bit, too.
- The Wonder Years One of the best tlevision series ever!
- How I Met Your Mother This show was EVERYTHING to me when I was on bedrest in the 3 weeks before Layah was born. Another Neil Patrick Harris feature? Legendary!
Let me preface this list by saying that I’m much more of a television series gal than a movie gal. So pretty much all of my picks are old because I know next to nothing about newer stuff. Sorry!
1. The Princess Bride (even the kid in the story is sick as he listens to this tale, so it’s pretty much perfect). And Fred Savage picks up a second nod with this piece, too.
2. The Money Pit My all-time favorite Tom Hanks flick. That moment where he falls through the ceiling gets me every time! And cheers to Shelley Long for her second piece on my list. 🙂
3. Cleopatra It’s 4 hours long and worth every minute. Besides, when else have you got that much time to give to a movie? Here’s your chance!
4. Clueless If I’ve got to be stuck somewhere for a while, it might as well be in 1995. This movie is a cult classic for a reason!
5. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe I love a good fantasy flick and this one is great!
When I’m sick I tend to keep the stuff I’m watching on the light side, opting not to try anything that requires me to think too hard. So those are my top picks for what to watch on Netflix when you are sick. I hope it helps you find some great entertainment while your body heals! If you have any suggestions to add to the list, please leave them in the comments!