When my baby girl decided to take her first steps back in March, she made it very loud and clear that she was tired of being cooped up in our house all winter long. She loves playing and exploring outside more than anything, and she was definitely ready to start enjoying the warm spring and summer air. After all, she had a new found freedom in her ability to walk, and there was so much she was ready to discover outside the four walls of our home! Her interest and curiosity about the outdoors came as somewhat of a surprise to me, because I have always preferred indoor playtime over being outdoors. Once summer is in full swing here in south Alabama, the heat alone is enough to make you never want to leave your beloved air conditioner!
However, I knew that it would be important for me to nourish my toddler’s curious side and get her acquainted with mother nature. I also knew that it would be important for my own sake to find a healthy balance in enjoying our outdoor summer time activities by incorporating things that would be both fun and interesting for both toddler AND mommy.
So far this summer we’ve found several fun ways for us to get outdoors, get active and enjoy the sweet sunshine and summertime. If you’re looking for ways to get outdoors with your little one this summer, here are a few great idea starters to help you enjoy your time to the fullest!
Plan a Picnic/ Play at the Park
- Even though we live in a very rural area, we still are fortunate enough to have a few local parks that children and adults can enjoy. Planning a picnic at the park is a great way to get out of the house, get some fresh air and let the kiddos get some play time in without spending any money. Depending on how hot it gets in your area, you may want to plan the trips to the park during the early morning or late afternoon to avoid being out in the heat of the day. Make sure to stay hydrated and find a shady spot to enjoy! My daughter and I have loved our play dates at our local park and have been enjoying the simple things that bring out the fun in our day, like playing on the swings and running through the grass!
Make a Splash
- If it seems too hard to escape the heat, make a splash in the pool! We like to join our cousins for a swim in their own backyard pool. If a backyard swimming pool isn’t readily available to you, take a look around town and see if there are any public water parks or pools that are either free or charge a small admission fee. There’s sure to be a park or splash pad near you that you and your little ones can cool down in while playing and having fun with others. If you’re feeling up to it, pack your bags and plan a beach or water park vacation! Enjoying the water is a great way to spend time with family and enjoy the outdoors during the summer, so put on that sunscreen and start making some waves!
Bring Story Time to Life
- Sometimes going outdoors just isn’t feasible every day during the summer. The summer months here are notorious for having random pop up showers that can last anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours. When the weather just isn’t cooperating, we break out our favorite books that help bring the outdoors inside! Currently, my daughter is ALL about the animals. She loves learning new noises that certain animals make, and she’s started learning how to point out which animal is which. One AWESOME way to help bring story time to life is to visit the zoo and see all of those animals in real life! My daughter has been busy learning about farm animals, so we thought a visit to see her Grandaddy’s cows would be a fun treat for her!
- If story time is something your kids might enjoy, check your local libraries to see if they offer any summer reading camps or programs that help kids explore their imagination and exercise their minds! You can even sign up for a library card and stock up on books to help keep your kids occupied when outdoor play time isn’t an option.
Take a Stroll
- My favorite way for my daughter and I to enjoy the outdoors together is go for a stroll/jog down our road or on the walking trails at the park. We usually do this once a week or so in the late evening when it starts to cool down. It gives me the exercise my body craves and needs while allowing my daughter to relax and and catch a breeze while we move. She’s definitely been enjoying the view from her sweet new ride, the J is for Jeep Brand All-Terrain Jogging Stroller. It’s been SO influential in steering my sails to get outside with my daughter and get moving. Before this jogging stroller, trying to walk my daughter up and down our road was a nightmare! We live on a dirt road and the terrain is really tough, but this particular stroller seems to glide over it with ease and makes for a much smoother trip. I don’t know how we ever functioned without it, honestly!
When we’re out on the walking trails or jogging down the dirt road, we simply lock the front wheel to help keep the stroller in place and not wobbling back and forth. Before this stroller, the plastic swivel wheels on our previous stroller would get hung up every few feet traveled. It was enough to drive you bonkers, especially if you were trying to exercise! It also comes with a safety harness to wear around your wrist to prevent the stroller from getting away from you. I really appreciate the peace of mind that gives, because it can be really easy to have a stroller roll away from you when you’re going down a hill or if you’re near a ditch.
And can I brag for just a minute about how spacious the undercarriage is?! I mean, I feel like I can pack almost anything under there! It easily fits a large diaper bag and a small cooler. I can pack several drinks and snacks and take them along on our adventures with us! I also appreciate the space up top for holding keys, drinks, iPods, etc. Those are things I typically need quick access to, and I don’t want to have to fumble through my bags to try to find them. In the J is for Jeep Brand All-Terrain Jogging Stroller, they’re right at my fingertips the entire time!
All features of the stroller are easy to adjust and it’s incredibly easy to fold. In just two simple and quick motionss, the stroller is folded and ready to put away! I will say that this particular stroller does not fold down compact at all in comparison to other traditional strollers. It takes up almost the entire space of our trunk in our mid-sized SUV, so that’s something to consider if you’re in the market for a stroller.
My daughter and I have been enjoying our outdoor adventures this summer and have had a blast keeping ourselves entertained through play, picnics, water fun and especially our mid-afternoon strolls. If you’re looking for ways to beat summer boredom and get outside with your little ones, I highly encourage you to look for ways to incorporate the suggestions listed above into your summer schedule. And if you’re looking for a way to enjoy the outdoor time as much as your little one does, definitely check out the J is for Jeep Brand All-Terrain Jogging Stroller! It’s got everything you need to make your outdoor summer days the very best!
One very lucky Stuff Parents Need reader is going to win a Jeep Brand All-Terrain Jogging Stroller, courtesy of Shopko!
Shopko Jeep Stroller Giveaway
Landing Page (Automatic)