I think most every parent works with their baby and toddler on learning ABCs and counting from 1-10. But beyond recognizing the numbers, are you doing any work on teaching math fundamentals? I think its a common perception that a young one’s brain isn’t meant to understand concepts like addition and subtraction, at least not until they reach kindergarten, so why worry about anything beyond counting?
NOT TRUE, my friends! Our little ones are totally able to grasp these concepts, and we have an excellent opportunity to get them comfortable with math from a very early age. We have been reviewing some fantastic flash cards from ChildUp that are designed to do just that.
We reviewed the Teach Your Child to Count to 10 series, as well as the Teach Your Child to Count to 20 series (which teaches 10-20). They are AWESOME and unlike any other counting flash cards I have ever seen. Here are some of the features you will find in these particular flash cards:
• Includes 48 Child’s Cards to learn to count while discovering four different series of 10 popular animals.
• Includes 16 Parent’s Cards presenting the 1st and 2nd parts of the ChildUp Early Learning Method, with practical early learning and parenting advice.
◦ Helps parents to teach:
▪ Numbers from 0 to 10; 10-20
▪ Numbers as quantities and symbols
▪ The first steps of addition
◦ Helps develop the child’s:
▪ Math and logic skills
▪ Learning an
d cognitive skills
▪ Listening and memory skills
▪ Attention and concentration skills
▪ Language and social skills
I think it is easier to see how these cards really stand out from the crowd by taking a look at them.
I think the fact that they use different animals when coming up with the number is so clever, as that helps a child understand addition, and not to just think of a number as something abstract.
We have been very pleased with these cards, and Darah really seems to enjoy playing with them, as well. I highly recommend them to any parent of a child who hasn’t yet started kindergarten. This really is work you can do with them now; there’s no need to wait! Each set of cards retails for $9.99. While you are checking out the cards, be sure to peruse the rest of the site, as they have lots of fantastic articles and resources about early childhood learning.
Finally, don’t miss out on the iCount to 10 App that is available for the iPhone or the iPad. We’ve checked this out, too, and I think it is a FANTASTIC use of $1.99! I love the fact that this app offers more detailed information for the child about the various animals that are part of the virtual flash cards. That will draw in any child who loves animals (and what child doesn’t?!).
Win it!: One lucky Stuff Parents Need reading is going to win the following:
1. one pack of Teach Your Child to Count to 10 – Math & Logic #1 cards
2. one pack of Teach Your Child to Count to 20 – Math & Logic #2 cards
3. iCount-to-10 app code