Are you getting ready for Labor Day weekend, that “last hurrah” before the fall season officially begins? If you have travel plans then, or if you are planning on traveling during the fall/winter holidays, I’ve got some tips to share with you to help keep your home secure, courtesy of Master Lock.
Before you load the family into the car or hop on a plane, Master Lock has developed a series of travel tips to ensure your vacation is an ideal time spent making lasting memories. To help avoid stress and frustration before, during or after a trip, follow these four guidelines:
1. Secure all points of entry to your home, including dead bolting doors, windows, sliding glass doors and garage/shed doors to bolster your home’s security. If you have an alarm system in place, be sure it is activated before departing. Leaving just one of these areas open or unlocked can lead to theft.
2. Keep your home active. Whether you’ve hired a dog walker or a neighbor is headed over to water plants and pick up deliveries, ensuring your home still appears to have people coming and going regularly can deter thieves. Store your house key in a key safe such as the Master Lock 5400D Key Safe to allow these individuals to easily enter and exit your home, locking it up as they leave. Make sure these approved visitors know the code to your home alarm system, if applicable, so they can deactivate it and reset it after finishing their tasks. If you do not have anyone visiting your property while you’re away, consider placing lights on a timer and stopping your mail delivery by visiting www.usps.com.
3. Lock up your luggage. Airports are full of people and distractions. Items can be easily stolen from bags while awaiting your flight’s departure, or before you pick up checked luggage from the baggage claim area. A TSA-accepted lock like the Master Lock 4688D luggage lock will help keep your possessions safe while in transit and allow you to move through security lines with ease.
4. Secure important items in your room. Whether you’re staying in a hotel, cabin or resort — it’s important to lock up valuables when not in your room. A secure document storage or cash box will help ensure your passport, traveler’s checks, cash and jewelry safe while you and your family enjoy the sights and sounds of your destination. If you’re taking your small valuables out and about with you, consider a Master Lock 5900D Safe Space to keep your belongings secure while you’re on the go.
About Master Lock
Master Lock is the world’s largest manufacturer of padlocks and related security products providing innovative security solutions for home, automotive, campus, power sports, bike and storage security needs for consumers and contractors alike.
Win it!: Just in time for end-of-summer travel plans, one lucky Stuff Parents Need reader will win the Master Lock 5400D Key Safe which is mentioned in tip #2! The contest will run until September 3rd at 11:59pm EST when a winner will be selected via Random.org. The winner will have 48 hours to respond to winning notification before the prize is forfeited and a new winner is selected. Open to residents of the United States. Limit one entrant per household, please.
Mandatory entry: Share any tip you have for keeping your home or your possessions safe when traveling. What do you do?
My answer: We use light timers to keep lights turning on and off at different times in our house.
1. Sponsor love: Follow Master Lock on Twitter
2. Blogger love: Follow Stuff Parents Need on Twitter
Be sure to enter my other current giveaways, found on the sidebar of my blog.
Disclosure: I received a complimentary product for review purposes. The opinions expressed here are strictly my own.