Shark Sonic Duo Review
In our home we have two vacuum cleaners. One performs better on our hardwood floors, and the other feels like a dream on the carpet. We also have a mop that we love. And for days when we are feeling old-school, we also have a broom. Having 4 different products to keep the floors clean is NOT in line with the ideal we are striving for in our home: simplicity. Tim, in particular, gives the stink eye to any product in our house that can’t do more than one thing or that isn’t a complete work horse. So I’m going to be honest with you, when I told him that I was offered the opportunity to test out the Shark Sonic Duo, he was less than thrilled. It would become the 5th contraption on hand just for cleaning floors. He thought that just didn’t make sense.
I was a bit more optimistic than he, though. I had watched the videos about how the Shark Sonic Duo cleans BOTH hardwood and carpeted floors, and I believed that it could really meet a need in our home. So I pressed forward and decided to review the item, and friends, I’m so glad I did! And what is even more satisfying is the fact that Tim is now completely in love with it. This gives me endless opportunities to dance around him singing, “I told you so!”
8 Reasons Why I Love the Shark Sonic Duo
1. It is petite and lightweight. The Shark Sonic Duo does NOT take up a lot of space which makes Tim feel much better about adding it to our collection.
2. It replaces our mop. Not everyone who owns a Shark Sonic Duo might agree with me on this one, but I fully believe that it replaces the need for a mop in the home.
3. It cleans SO much better than a mop. We used to have to get on our hands and needs and scrape food off the bottom of the floor before, and often after, a thorough mopping. Our mop was good, but even it couldn’t handle some of the messes made by our little ones. No need for this extra work thanks to the Shark Sonic Duo!
4. My house smells better. True story: after we used the Shark Sonic Duo to clean our carpet upstairs, we noticed that the house smelled cleaner. Not just immediately afterwards, but even the next day. I think removing all that built up dirt really made a noticeable difference.
5. The cleaning pads are reusable. This is eco-friendly and cost-effective. That’s how we roll, so I was extra pleased with this feature.
6. I can prove that the Shark Sonic Duo loosens up more dirt in the carpet than vacuuming. We conducted an experiment. We did a thorough vacuuming of our small upstairs hallway and our small bedroom. And we got up an embarrassing amount of dirt and hair, pretty much like always (I shed like a cat, plus we actually have a cat, plus we are a family of four…lots of dirt and hair!). Then we used the Shark Sonic Duo to clean the carpets. After letting them dry for most of the day, we emptied out the canister in our vacuum and then went back over the same area with the vacuum just to see if any extra dirt or hair came up. Tim was highly skeptical and wasn’t expecting to see much of anything. The photo below is of what came up, though. GROSS!!!! The Shark Sonic Duo claims to remove up to 4 times the amount of stuck on dirt as vacuuming alone, and I have first-hand proof that they are right.
7. Easy to maneuver. You would think that a product that is scrubbing the floor at a rate of 1,000 times per minute might be a beast to move around. But no! It easily glides over surfaces when it is turned on. It also have 180-degree swivel steering, and this is SO nice for reaching all the nooks and crannies in your rooms (like around the edge of the cabinets, under the table, and by other pieces of furniture).
8. Cleaning formulas are safe. I really appreciate that the cleaning formulas used for all surfaces are biodegradable and safe for children and pets. This is really important for me, as it isn’t practical to have my kids completely avoid any room in the house while the product dries. I don’t worry about that because I know the product is safe.
The Shark Sonic Duo retails for $249. That’s not cheap in my book. But it is providing much cleaner floors in my home, which I believe is going to help with some of our allergy problems. We are also going to offer it up to our neighbors to use on occasion to maximize the impact this little machine can have. I love the idea of sharing resources like this with other people you can trust! Mostly, though, I’m just really excited about having noticeably cleaner floors. It just feels good!
Are you having trouble getting your floors to feel really and truly clean? What do you think about the Shark Sonic Duo? Ever seen it in person?
Thanks to the great folks at Shark for supplying the Shark Sonic Duo for review. All opinions provided are strictly my own.