I’d like to talk with you about something that weighs on my mind as I age: Type II diabetes. This is a disease that appears over a period of time due to the body making insulin, but when the cells stop responding to it correctly. It is a PREVENTABLE disease, and yet if affects over 25.8 million people in our country (maybe more…many people don’t realize they have it until major health problems lead to the discovery).
Diabetes runs rampant in the South. I have seen diabetes affect members of my family. Honestly, when I was growing up, I got the impression that it was just a disease that most people got as they aged. How sad to realize now that I didn’t know that it could be stopped simply by making better choices about how we care for our bodies.
As I get older (I’m 31…not “old” in my mind, but no longer young and invincible, either), I’m starting to realize that I can’t just assume that my body will respond ok if I fill it with junk. A few years ago, Tim and I both learned that our levels of LDL cholesterol (also known as “bad” cholesterol) were elevated. That was a real wake up call to us both that we needed to make some changes to what we ate. Elevated bad cholesterol is one thing that puts you on the path to heart disease. That’s NOT a road I’m interested in going down, especially when I’m in control of what I eat…nobody to blame but myself for making those choices!
I am also NOT interested in ever being told that I have diabetes or am even at risk of developing diabetes. But I can’t simply wish for that result. I have to do something to make sure I stack the odds in my favor! One company is working hard to help Americans choose health for themselves through the Fit2Fight campaign, and I’m excited to tell you more about it.
Crystal Farms Better’n Eggs and AllWhites are two products that provide fat-free, cholesterol-free, low calorie alternatives to traditional eggs in shells. Better’n Eggs is 98% liquid egg whites, with the remaining 2% added vitamins and minerals. The AllWhites is just what it sounds like…100% liquid egg whites! If you know someone already suffering from diabetes or trying to prevent diabetes, these products provide a wonderful way to be able to enjoy eggs without putting health goals at risk. I really like that they can easily provide you with a source of lean protein, which is important to include in your diet if you want to avoid those insulin surges you get when you load up on too much food at once after trying so hard to “be good” and not eat for a few hours (been there, done that!). Lean proteins genuinely help you feel full longer!
These products can be used in any recipe that calls for eggs. Here’s recipe that uses Better’n Eggs.
Fresh Ginger Blueberry Muffins
Preparation: 15 minutes
Time-To-Table: 30 minutes
Serves: 12 servings
- 1/4 cup (2 oz.) Better’n Eggs®*
- 1 carton (8 oz.) fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup wheat bran cereal (shreds, not flakes)
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
*May substitute AllWhites® for Better’n Eggs®.
Heat oven to 400°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper cup liners; set aside. Stir together the Better’n Eggs, yogurt, orange juice, canola oil and fresh ginger. Stir in wheat bran cereal; let stand 5 minutes.
Add whole wheat flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir just until moist. Gently stir in frozen blueberries and almonds.
Spoon batter equally into muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
As part of the Fit2Fight campaign sponsored by Crystal Farms, Oprah’s personal trainer and fitness guru Bob Greene is going to be sharing great nutrition and fitness tips to help people live with or prevent Type II diabetes. Also, be sure to mark your calendars for a twitter party with Bob Greene (!!!) on 11/16 from 8-10pm EST (follow hashtag #betterneggs). For more information about how to get signed up and all the goodies that will available (including an elliptical!) click here.
Remember, YOU have the power to prevent Type II diabetes from becoming part of your life. Take control and make positive changes for your health!
Disclosure: I am writing this post as a Global Influence member. All thoughts and opinions expressed here are strictly my own.