I love today’s guest post topic! What a fun way to make one of the MANY at home meals we are all enduring really special and fun!
Looking for a healthy meal that tastes amazing? Or perhaps you are bored with your usual dinner? Lobster is a great way to get the family together and treat them to a delicious, restaurant-style dish at home. Grilled lobster is a healthy and delicious way to get the family excited about eating together at home.
You don’t need to dine out at expensive restaurants, you can enjoy this premium crayfish at home. Due to the rise of companies like LobsterAnywhere where you can buy lobster online, you can cook and enjoy them from the comfort of your own home. It’s not as hard as you may think, especially when you choose premium frozen lobster.
The great thing about cooking lobster yourself is that you get to choose exactly how to cook it and what to pair with it!
Fresh or Frozen Lobster?
You may squirm at the idea of boiling live lobsters and we get it – it’s not for the faint-hearted. Lobster lovers often choose to grill their meat instead. It takes the same prep time as the conventional method and makes a really tasty meal due to the added flavor from the grill.
Frozen lobster is much easier to work with and a lot less stressful. Cooking live lobsters can be intimidating – not everyone can handle live fish.
So, how do you go about making grilled lobster?
We are going to talk you through how to create a perfectly grilled lobster from the comfort of your own home.
Grilling lobster results in smoky succulent flavors, plus whatever marinade, or butter you decide to use. Combine that with the other cooking on the grill, such as your veg, sides, and starters. This results in the most delicious grilled lobster BBQ meal to enjoy with friends and family at home.
First of all, start with the basics. You should only buy high-quality lobster. It makes the world of difference when grilling at home. You don’t want to skimp on price. And whilst grilling, always make sure to check the heat is at the right level because a well-done lobster ruins the taste and possibly your mood if you’re a lobster lover!
Here is our personal favorite recipe for a family of 4;
- 4 Maine Lobsters
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of Wholegrain mustard (you can also use Dijon mustard).
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 large freshly squeezed lemons
- Sharp scissors
- Sharp knife
Grilled Lobster isn’t as complicated as it may seem. For a perfectly grilled lobster, simply follow these steps.
- Split the lobsters in half – this makes it much easier to grill and eat
- Use sharp kitchen scissors to cut through the shell, from the top of each tail up to the body
- Place a knife into the cut, and then use the scissors to cut through the lobster meat all the way through
- This should be done in one swoop, cutting the tails in half as well but do not cut through the bottom shell.
- Make sure to cut the lobster in half lengthwise. This allows the meat to cook directly on the grill, allowing the top to receive all the great BBQ flavor
- Mix all the other ingredients. Place on a low heat on the hob and boil until melted and place to the side
- Pull back the sides of the shell to expose the meat
- Discard the dark stomach (located behind the eyes) and the soft green tomalley, which is the soft green mass in the body (this is the lobster’s digestive gland- the liver).
- Rub the ingredients on the meat and add any other seasoning you like (make sure not to overseason – lobster meat has enough taste which you don’t want to overpower)
- Heat the grill to medium-high and place the lobster meat front down for 5-6 minutes, then turn it over, cook for another 3-4 minutes until done
And bon appetit! Now you have perfectly grilled lobsters. Serve with extra butter sauce and side dishes or vegetables of your choice.
We love grilled asparagus, spinach, and any type of greens to complete your perfectly grilled lobster home-cooked BBQ.
We recommend that you grill larger lobsters, around 1 pound or heavier. This is because smaller lobsters will cook too quickly on the grill, and you will likely be left with it over-cooked and miss out on the soft tender meat and sweetness lobster is renowned for!
As you can see, it is pretty easy to make grilled lobsters in the comfort of your own home. Why not try our recipe and let us know if you added anything else? We would love to hear more creative cooking ideas from you!