I’m all about simple DIY projects that make fabulous gifts. One thing that is not too hard to do, for example, is to put together a cute gift basket for someone. Even if you don’t know the person very well, you can still put together something fabulous for not much money. All you have to do is the following:
1. Scour thrift stores and yard sales until you find the perfect basket
2. Buy lots of different cute products that look nice together but that are each different and unique. In the case of food, this may mean buying products that come with individual packets and only using one of two of them. If you want something gourmet and different, this will mean a special trip to the most posh market in your area (in my case, that’s a 20 minute drive by interstate each way).
3. Make the arrangement visually appealing. You need tiers in your gift basket, as well as an overall sense of symmetry. This is a bit complicated, since every item in your basket will be different. If I were doing this, I’d probably spend at least half an hour on it, as I would fail numerous times!
4. Get some of that clear gift wrap (where do you buy that?!)
5. Find a large bow that is cute! If you are like me, you don’t have one, so you’ll need to go buy one.
6. Deliver the goodies to the recipient (unless they don’t live in your town, in which case proceed to steps 7 and 8).
7. Find a box that is big enough for the gift basket.
8. Pay a stupid amount of money to mail it.
Ok, all done! Whew!
What’s that, you say? That doesn’t sound easy AT ALL???? Yeah, I’m with you. I actually think it can be easy, but it can also be REALLY hard! And sometimes you realize that you need a nice gift next week and you have ZERO time to get your craft on! That’s where Gourmetgiftbaskets.com comes in! They have a fantastic selection of gift baskets for most any person and any occasion. Here’s the one we received:
When it arrived, I thought, “This is too pretty to eat!” And then I looked at all the yummy, gourmet goodies inside. My next thought was, “Where are the scissors so I can break into this thing?!” At least I had enough discipline to snap a shot before I started munching away. Every single item in the basket was delicious, and there were many yummy treats that were totally new to me, which was fun.
The gift basket I reviewed retails for $59.99. I totally hear you…that’s not very cheap! But that’s exactly why I broke down what it would take for you to make this yourself. Sometimes it is really and truly worth the money to let a professional handle it all for you. I’d estimate that for me to re-create this basket with similar items would take me several hours and at least 2/3 of the cost of the gift basket I could buy here. That means that the price is totally worth it in my book!
Win it!: One lucky Stuff Parents Need reader is going to win the same gourmet gift basket I received! Yum! The contest will run until July 6th at 11:59pm EST when a winner will be selected via Random.org. The winner will have 48 hours to respond to winning notification before the prize is forfeited and a new winner is selected. Open to residents of the United States. Limit one entrant per household, please.
Mandatory entry: Gourmetgiftbaskets.com wants to be friends on Facebook! All you have to do is like them, then come back here and tell me you did so!
1. Sponsor love: Post a note on Gourmetgiftbasket.com’s Facebook wall about your favorite gift basket.
2. Blogger love: Subscribe to Stuff Parents Need by email or RSS.
Be sure to enter my other current giveaways, found on the sidebar of my homepage.
Disclosure: I received a complimentary product for review purposes. The opinions expressed here are strictly my own.