It’s been several weeks since I’ve posted a Simple Sunday recipe. I promise we’ve been cooking, but we haven’t’ had much that we’ve made really blow us out of the water. But today we made a healthy butternut squash risotto you will love!
This is a fantastic vegetarian dish from All Recipes (my favorite place to look online for meal options!).
The dish is only complicated in that cooking risotto requires that you constantly stir/monitor the rice for 15-20 minutes. That is totally annoying, and so you should only do it when the end result will be worth it. I believe that in this case, it is totally worth it! Bon Appetite!
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups hot chicken stock
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place squash cubes into a steamer basket in a saucepan. Add water, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Allow to steam until the squash is tender (10 to 15 minutes), then drain, and mash in a bowl with a fork.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir for 2 minutes until the onion begins to soften, then stir in the rice. Continue cooking and stirring until the rice is glossy from the butter, and the onion begins to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes more.
- Pour in the white wine; cook, stirring constantly, until it has evaporated. Stir in the mashed squash and 1/3 of the hot chicken stock; reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until the chicken stock has been absorbed by the rice, 5 to 7 minutes. Add half of the remaining chicken stock, and continue stirring until it has been absorbed. Finally, pour in the remaining stock, and continue stirring until the risotto is creamy. Finish by stirring in the Parmesan cheese, and seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
This post may contain affiliate links.